SOS - SH-T ON A SHINGLE
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 1 stalk of celery small dice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups milk the richer the milk, the richer the gravy
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- dry toast (I use a small pasta or rice instead of toast)
- a small amount of cayenne if you want
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic and celery in a large skillet or pot, and brown the beef.
- Once the beef is browned and your onions clear, add the flour. Do not drain the beef
- Add enough flour to completely absorb all the liquid in the pan.
- Once all fluid is absorbed by the flour and you have a nice roux, add your milk. The measures are approximate but you want to add about twice as much milk as flour.
- If you add too much milk you will just have to cook it for longer in the next step.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and slowly cook away the fluid, stirring often, until you have a nice thick milk gravy.
- Spoon generous amounts over dry toast (like an open-faced sandwich) and enjoy.
- Or mix with the pasta and serve if your using pasta
NotesI used to make this for my x-bf a Marine... Now I make it for my husband...
35 min | 5 min prep