SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH MEATBALLS
- 1 lb. dry green or yellow split peas
- 3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2" thick
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 qts. water*
- 3 medium potatotes, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped clelery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. cooking oil, divided*
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage, crushed
- 1 egg
Usually pea soup is made with ham. I like pea soup and don't always have ham around to make the base flavour.
Split Pea Soup with Meatballs
1 lb. dry green or yellow split peas
3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2" thick
3/4 cup diced celery
1 medium onion, diced
2 qts. water*
3 medium potatotes, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup finely chopped clelery
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp. cooking oil, divided*
1 lb. ground pork
1 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried sage, crushed
In Dutch oven or soup kettle combine peas, carrots, celery, onion & water; bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat; cover & simmer 1 hour.
Add potatoes, salt & pepper; cover & simmer 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, sauté celery & onion in 2 tbsp. oil until tender; transfer to a bowl. Add pork, bread crumbs, water, salt, sage & egg; mix well.
Form into 3/4" balls.
In same skillet, brown meatballs in remaining oil until no longer pink inside.
Add to soup; cover & simmer for 15 min.
Yield: 10 - 14 servings
* Instead of water you can use 2 qts. of chicken broth. Seems to add more flavor but it makes the soup more costly