- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Servings: 25
- Preparation Time: 30 mins
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 115g butter
- 175g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Brown Sugar
- 4 level tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- To decorate :
- 250g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing sugar
- Food colouring
- Writing icing
- Heat the oven to 190C(170C fan) gas 5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger. Add the butter and rub until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, stir in the sugar.
- Add the golden syrup to the dry ingredients with the egg and milk. Mix until a dough forms then turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface about 5mm thick and using Halloween novelty cutters cut out about 30 shapes, gathering up the scraps and re-rolling them for more cookies. Carefully transfer to baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Cool 1 minute then if wished, using the end of a plastic straw, make a hole in the tops of the cookies so they can be hung on a tree.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add just enough cold water to make a thick glace icing. Remove portions of it to another bowl and add orange food colouring for the pumpkins and black for the bat wings. Spread over the cookies and allow to dry.
- Using writing icing pipe faces on the pumpkins and outline the bat wings with white writing icing. Allow to dry before hanging on the tree.
- Tie ribbon or raffia through the holes to hang from some branches anchored in a plant pot weighted with stones.
- If you do not want to hang them, do not make the holes and just place on a tray and hand them out for trick or treats.
NotesMore halloween recipes. The kids love making and eating them. They work a treat!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More