- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup dates
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1-1/4 cups PLUS 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-6 ounce package (1 cup) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts OR pecans)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Cool Whip, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Pour boiling water over dates and soda. Stir. Set aside to cool.
- Stir together flour, 3/4 teaspoon soda, and salt.
- Mix shortening and sugar. Add eggs. - Gradually, mix in dry ingredients. Add dates mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, nuts, and sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- You must SAVE this recipe
NotesThis recipe has been a family favorite for generations. It is nice during hot weather OR if you don't want the mess of frosting/icing. Top with Cool Whip or whipped cream, if desired.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More