- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 can of lentils, washed and drained
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 fresh green chill, sliced lengthways (you can also use 1/4 tsp of red crushed chili peppers)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 garlic scapes, finely chopped (or 2-3 garlic cloves)
- 1-2 dried chilies, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup (10 ounces) of your favourite greens, chopped (spinach and/or kale and/or swiss chard and/or kohlrabi leaves)
- Wash the canned lentils and drain.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, add the onions, chill, and cinnamon , and fry for 6-8 min, until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric and garam masala, stir and mix well. Add the lentils, chili powder, and salt. Stir and fry for 8-10 min over low heat.
- Add the cumin and tomatoes, stir and cook for 3-4 min.
- Add the 1/4 cup water, bring to a boil, and simmer a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat and fry the mustard seeds until they pop (a few seconds). Add the garlic and allow it to turn slightly brown.
- Add the dried chilies and spinach, and stir and mix thoroughly. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 min.
- Add the spinach to the lentils, cover and cook over low heat for 10 min. stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and serve.
NotesThis is one of the first indian recipes Jim and I made together- there's a few steps but it is still one of our favourites. It's also great with any of your favourite greens (kale, swiss chard, spinach, or kohlrabi greens)... or all of them mixed together. Here is the cheat version (when we don't have time to wash 3/4 cup of dried yellow split peas and cook them for 1.5 to 2 hours).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Babette's Test Kitchen
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce