- Cooking Time: about 120 to 150
- Preparation Time: 30 to 40
BackstoryWhen the weather is brutally cold, the ground is crunchy, and the air crisp, do you tend to prefer bold fare with breadth and body? If so, this is a phenomenal one plate meal that covers your protein, veggie, and carb portions!
Dredged in flour and seared, the ribs are velvety tender little morsels layered with flavor from the beer, beef stock,and fresh herbs. If you have homemade stock it makes all the difference but canned will also work. Peppers, onion, and beef are beautiful together.
Forsake your traditional mashed potatoes and try cheese tortellini as a pillowy bed to nestle the beef short ribs upon.
A slab of beer bread and a cold brew rounds out this meal perfectly!
- 1 pound beef short ribs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (2 to 3 for searing meat and the rest for sauteing vegetables)
- 1 red pepper
- 8 large carrot sticks
- 1 large onion
- 2 pinches of salt and pepper, or to taste
- 14 ounces of beef stock (homemade or canned)
- 1 cup beer (Budweiser or your choice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 package of cheese tortellini
- Fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese for grating on top
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy Dutch oven or soup pan over medium high heat.
- Coat beef short ribs with flour on all sides.
- Sear on all sides until browned.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of oil and vegetables into the Dutch oven. Saute for about 8 minutes.
- They won't be done. You're just getting them started and they'll finish cooking with the meat.
- Pour in beer to deglaze the pan.
- Cook 3 or 4 minutes to slightly reduce.
- Then add beef stock.
- Stir and cook long enough to dissolve to a smooth texture if it's homemade. Canned will only take a couple of minutes.
- Nestle ribs back into the pot with the vegetables.
- Stir herbs into mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer on medium low for about 2 hours, until ribs are pull apart tender and vegetables are soft.
- While meat rests for 10 minutes, cook cheese tortellini according to package directions. I boil them for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Spoon beef short ribs and vegetables over tortellini.
- Grate fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese over top and garnish with herbs.