- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6-12 jars
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 5 lbs Arkansas Black Apples (approx. 10-15 apples)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups apple juice, cider or water
- 2 sprigs of culinary sage (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- Chop cleaned apples into quarters and remove seeds. Based on your preference, skins can be peeled but it may change the flavor.
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and stir to prevent discoloration.
- Place apples and liquid into a deep pot over med heat to simmer. Stir occasionally to evenly heat the apples to a mush like consistency (approx. 20-30 mins). The softer the apples are, the easier it is to run through the food mill.
- Add the sage in the last 5-10 mins. of simmering.
- Place the food mill over a medium to large bowl and transfer the cooked apples into the mill for processing.
- When finished, add the remaining lemon juice, cinnamon and other spices to the apple sauce.
- These can then be stored in a glass jar for canning in a hot water bath or pressure cooker. They can also be stored in the fridge up to one week for fresh eating.
- Hot water bath
- In a deep pot with a rack on the bottom, sterilize jars, lids and rings in hot water, close to boiling.
- Take out jars one at a time and fill with sauce leaving 1/2-1/4 inch headspace. Wipe lid with a clean towel and screw the bands till secure.
- When all jars are back into the pot, make sure the water is covering the jars with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a rolling boil and simmer for 15 mins for pints and 20 mins. for quarts.
- Take the jars out of the water to speed up the cooling process. Make sure to listen for the resounding seal of success and check the middle of the lids for resistance. If the lids move up and down, the jar of sauce should be consumed within the week.
NotesThis is Angela's fantastic from-scratch apple sauce recipe that she's used for Food Club several times. Nothing really beats homemade apple sauce, and her touch of sage adds a nice complexity.
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More