- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryFrom blog Culinary In The Desert
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, wheat flour, yeast, sage, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, oil and honey.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and stir together until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic - add enough of the remaining flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down - cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Evenly divide the dough into 12 pieces - shape each piece into a tight ball, covering them to prevent drying.
- Place the dough balls on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to cut a 1/4" deep X in the top of each roll.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350.
- Bake until puffed and beginning to brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer rolls to a wire rack to cool.