- Cooking Time: 3 hrs
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 6-7 lb roasting chicken
- 10-12 leaves fresh sage
- Provençal salt*
- olive oil
- *Provençal salt is a mixture of coarse sea salt and Herbes de Provence.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Meanwhile, rinse the (empty) chicken off with cold water.
- Place on the rack and position in the roasting pan.
- Rub the chicken with a tablespoon of oil.
- Arrange the leaves on the breast and sprinkle liberally with Provençal salt.
- Roast at 325 for about 2 hours, then turn the heat up to 350 and cook an additional 30-45 minutes or until the juices run clear and the leg easily moves when wiggled.
- The internal temperature should be between 160 and 180.
- Allow to sit for about 10 minutes before carving.
NotesI've found that sprinkling a chicken with coarse salt and spices is my favorite way to insure a juicy bird with crisp burnished gold skin. As an added bonus the sage and flavored salt seep into the meat leaving it juicy and herbal without taking away from the chicken's natural flavor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
50 Shades of Taste
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More