- Cooking Time: 22
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup cornmeal (preferably whole grain, medium grind)
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage plus 12 whole fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat heavy 10-inch-diameter ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) in oven 10 minutes.
- Whisk first 4 ingredients and 2 teaspoons chopped sage in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk milk, honey, and egg in medium bowl to blend.
- Remove skillet from oven; add 1/2 cup butter. Swirl until butter is melted.
- Pour all except 2 tablespoons butter into egg mixture.
- Add whole sage leaves to butter in skillet; toss to coat.
- Arrange leaves over bottom of skillet, spacing apart.
- Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir until just combined (do not overmix; batter will be wet and runny).
- Pour batter over sage leaves in skillet.
- Bake until browned around edges and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 22 minutes.
- Cool in skillet 10 minutes.
- Invert onto platter. If necessary, reposition sage leaves atop cornbread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More