SALAT OLIVIER (POTATO AND CHICKEN SALAD)
- 1 whole chicken breast, poached, boned, and skinned
- 1 lb. all-purpose potatoes, boiled in their skins and peeled
- 2 medium pickles, deli-style Claussen Kosher pickles
- 1 c. cooked fresh or frozen peas
- 1 med. onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped dill
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced thin
- 6 green olives
- 8 sprigs parsley
Cut the cooked chicken and potatoes into 1/2-inch dice. Dice the pickles in 1/2-inch dice. In a large bowl, combine the meat, potatoes, pickles, green peas,onion, and dill. Add the mayonnaise and mix gently, so that the ingredients are not mashed.
There are two ways to serve Salat Olivier: It can be shaped into a pyramid on a platter and decorated with the hard-cooked eggs, olives, and parsley; or the mixture can be formed into 12 balls and decorated individually.
For individual portions, reduce the amount of mayonnaise to make the salad a bit firmer. Refrigerate the salad until serving time.