- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (actually I had a little more, about 2 lbs.)
- 1 (10 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 tsp. steak seasoning (I used Jane’s crazy mixed up salt)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/4 cup cognac (I used Marsala cooking wine)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth (I made it with water and beef bouillon base)
- 1 (1.2 oz.) pkt. brown gravy mix
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 1/4 can mushroom soup, bread crumbs, egg, onions, and steak seasoning.
- Mix thoroughly and shape into 4 oval patties or more depending on how much meat you use.
- Heat oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown patties on both sides and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining butter and cognac or marsala (remove pan from heat when adding cognac.)
- Sauté mushrooms for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add beef stock and whisk in gravy mix until smooth.
- Stir in remaining mushroom soup.
- Return patties to skillet and spoon gravy over top.
- Cover pan and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve Salisbury Steaks and Mushroom Gravy over hot cooked rice.
NotesI made this tonight and it was fantastic, I did make a few changes from the original by Sandra Lee, Semi-Homemade Cooking. Most of us tweak and alter recipes to our liking anyway...don't we?
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More