- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (actually I had a little more, about 2 lbs.)
- 1 (10 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 tsp. steak seasoning (I used Jane’s crazy mixed up salt)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/4 cup cognac (I used Marsala cooking wine)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth (I made it with water and beef bouillon base)
- 1 (1.2 oz.) pkt. brown gravy mix
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 1/4 can mushroom soup, bread crumbs, egg, onions, and steak seasoning.
- Mix thoroughly and shape into 4 oval patties or more depending on how much meat you use.
- Heat oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown patties on both sides and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining butter and cognac or marsala (remove pan from heat when adding cognac.)
- Sauté mushrooms for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add beef stock and whisk in gravy mix until smooth.
- Stir in remaining mushroom soup.
- Return patties to skillet and spoon gravy over top.
- Cover pan and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve Salisbury Steaks and Mushroom Gravy over hot cooked rice.
NotesI made this tonight and it was fantastic, I did make a few changes from the original by Sandra Lee, Semi-Homemade Cooking. Most of us tweak and alter recipes to our liking anyway...don't we?
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The NourishFull Kitchen
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More