- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (at least 80% lean)
- *18.8 oz. can Cambells Chunky Beef Rib Roast soup - solids strained out and discarded - will leave about 1 and 1/4 cup of soup liquid.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 tsp. dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 TBS. flour
- 2 TBS. cooking oil
- *This is the kind of soup that I used but I would imagine that any of the beef soups (not condensed) would also work.
- Combine in a bowl, ground beef, 1/2 cup of soup liquid, 1 egg, crushed crackers, dried onions and salt and pepper. Form into 6 thick patties and fry until browned on both sides in a hot skillet with the oil about 5 minutes both sides (do not cook through, just brown). While they're browning, combine well the remainder of the soup liquid, milk and flour. Drain off any grease in the pan, turn heat to low and add the soup and milk combination. Cover your pan tightly and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until patties are cooked through. Serve with 'gravy' spooned over them.
NotesThis is my 'cheat' version of Salisbury Steak. I started to make it and realized I didn't have all the ingredients I needed so I improvised and it turned out better than ever! I was out of onion soup, bread crumbs and worcestershire - all called for in the recipe I had. I dug around in the cupboards and found what I thought would be an adequete substitute. It turned out so well that using my 'substitute' will now be the only way I make Salisbury Steak.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The One Dollar Cookbook
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Classic Chocolate RecipesSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More