- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe secret of a perfect salmon cake is to use the finest, freshest salmon money can buy, and plenty of it!
From Chef Michael Lomonaco
- 1 pound poached or baked salmon - chilled, boneless, and skinless
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 slices fresh white bread, crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay brand seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for sauteing
- Poach or bake salmon.
- Remove all bones and skin.
- Cut into pieces.
- Saute the diced sweet peppers in the 1 tbs. vegetable oil until wilted and set aside to cool.
- Place the bread in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and process until finely crumbled.
- Measure and reserve 2 tbs. of the bread crumbs to use in the filling.
- The remaining bread crumbs will be used to coat the salmon cakes.
- Mix the salmon with the sweet peppers, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cilantro leaves, and mayonnaise.
- Add the seasoning powder, 2 tbs. of bread crumbs, and salt and pepper.
- Mix well, then refrigerate 20 minutes before continuing.
- Cover a work surface with waxed paper sprinkled with the reserved bread crumbs.
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, form 8 equal-sized portions of salmon.
- With the palm of your hand, pat each portion in to a disk-shaped cake approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- It is important for the salmon cakes to be the same thickness so that they will cook uniformly.
- Press each cake into the bread crumbs, turning them so they coast evenly on all sides.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour to prevent the cakes from crumbling during cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- No more than 30 minutes before you plan to serve the salmon cakes, add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of an ovenproof saute pan.
- Heat until just before it begins to smoke.
- Add the salmon cakes gently, being careful not to crowd the pan. (Cook them in two batches if necessary.)
- When the salmon cakes are well browned on both sides, bake them 6 minutes to ensure that they are fully cooked and hot at the center.
- Serve with Chili Mayonnaise or mayonnaise flavored with mustard or horseradish, and garnish with a small salad.