- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- * 1 medium grapefruit
- * 8 thin slices fresh ginger
- * 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- * 3/4 cup quinoa
- * 1 1/2 cups water
- * 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- * 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- * 2 teaspoons honey
- * 1 small serrano or jalapeno chile, minced (with seeds for maximum heat)
- * 2 scallions (both white and green parts), minced
- * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- * Freshly ground black pepper
- * 1 1/2 pound skinless, center-cut salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
- * Wooden skewers, soaked
- Strip the peel from the grapefruit with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to include the bitter white pith. Warm the grapefruit peel, ginger, and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. As soon as the oil starts to bubble, after about 2 minutes, remove from heat. Set the oil aside to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve the oil.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in a bowl and drain. Put the quinoa in a small saucepan with the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside off the heat, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Segment the grapefruit over a bowl, reserving the segments and juice separately. Whisk 3 tablespoons of the grapefruit juice with the vinegar, honey, and salt to taste in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons of the reserved grapefruit oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a stream to make a slightly thick dressing. Season with pepper to taste.
- Toss quinoa with the dressing, chiles, scallions, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat a stovetop or outdoor grill to high heat. Thread the salmon cubes onto the skewers. Brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon grapefruit oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill the skewers, turning as each side browns but the salmon is still moist, about 3 minutes.
- Toss the grapefruit segment into the salad, divide among 4 plates, and top with the salmon kebobs. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More