- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a great main course for phase two or three of The South Beach Diet.
- 1 can (14 3/4 oz.) salmon
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/8 cup wheat bran
- (you could use all wheat bran if you wanted)
- 2 green onions, sliced very thin (I might add more next time)
- 2 eggs
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- Drain the salmon very well and put it in a mixing bowl. (It will look rather gross at this point, but carry on.) Mash it up well, mashing in any skin and bones that are in the salmon (think calcium). Add green onion, bread crumbs, wheat bran, and eggs and combine well.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or cast iron pan and add olive oil and part of butter. Turn heat to medium. Form salmon mixture into 6 patties the size of a small hamburger patty (not too thick) and place in hot oil. (Don't make them too big or they are hard to turn.) Cook about 8 minutes on first side, then add more butter to pan if needed and turn carefully. Continue cooking until both sides are very well browned. Turn them a couple of times, using a wide turner.
- This is a great main course for phase two or three of The South Beach Diet.