- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Shortcrust pastry, either homemade or shop bought (you can even buy a ready made pastry shell if you're really lazy...)
- 1 salmon fillet, boned
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 80ml (2.5 fl oz) single cream
- 80ml (2.5 fl oz) milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 5mm (3/16 in) and line a well greased tart tin with it.
- Push it in with your fingers so that its nice and smooth with no gaps in the pastry (gaps = spillage = messy oven = having to clean the oven).
- Prick the bottom all over with a fork.
- Pop a circle of baking paper in the bottom of the tin over the pastry and fill the tin with either ceramic baking beans, or dry rice or dry beans. Bake at 180c (350f) for about 10 mins or so, until its starting to go golden.
- Meanwhile, cook your salmon and your broccoli however you choose.
- I usually use the microwave, as its easier and quicker but you can steam/boil/poach as you wish. Cut the broccoli into small florets and flake the salmon onto a plate, being sure to remove any bones or skin.
- In a saucepan, heat some oil and fry the onion until soft.
- I usually sprinkle the onion with a little salt to prevent it from browning.
- When it's cooked, add it to the pastry shell that you have retrieved from the oven (and of course after you've removed the beans/rice and baking paper...).
- Also add the flaked salmon and cut up broccoli and spread them about a bit until they're nicely mixed together within the tin.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the egg, cream, milk, nutmeg and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Pour this milk mixture into the tin over the fish and vegetables.
- Pop the now-filled tin back into the oven for 35 minutes or so at 180c (350f) until the top is nice and golden.
- Then, turn the oven off and leave the quiche in it with the door closed for another 10 minutes.
- This sets the filling.
25cm (9in) tart or flan tin, well greased (or 6x10cm tartlet tins)
Enjoy with salad, cold meats, and a very smug smile on your face
The Naked Macaron
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More