- Cooking Time: 40
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 cup butter
- 1 16 ounce package packed brown sugar (2-1/4 cups)
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 1ncup light-colored corn syrup
- 1nteaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 1/2 teaspoons flaked sea salt or smoked flaked sea salt
- 1/2 - 1 1/2 teaspoons pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1. Line an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil. Set aside.
- 2. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, half-and-half, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling mixture at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248 degrees F, firm-ball stage (40 to 50 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.
- 3. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool 10 to 12 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When firm use foil to lift candy out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut into 2x1/2-inch size pieces. Wrap each caramel in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store up to 2 weeks.
NotesFrom Better Homes and Gardens 100 Days of Holidays newsletter (2011)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More