- Cooking Time: 15
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large whole mackerel, gutted and cleaned(leave head on)
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- Soy-ginger dip:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- To make the soy-ginger dip, put the soy sauce, sugar and ginger in a stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain and set aside to cool.
- Rinse the fish under cold running water and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- Slash fish several times on both sides, cutting down as far as the bone.
- Sprinkle the salt inside the fish and rub it well into the skin.
- Set aside on a plate for 40 minutes.
- Wash the fish in plenty of cold water to remove all traces of salt.
- Shape the fish neatly and secure in position with two bamboo skewers inserted along the length of the body, one above and one below the eye(keep fish together when grilling).
- Cook the fish under a preheated broiler or on a grill for 10-12 minutes, or until it is cooked, turning once.
- The skin can be basted with a little of the soy-ginger dip partway through cooking, if desired.
- Transfer the fish to a serving plate and arrange carrot and soy-ginger dip decoratively around it.
NotesI grew up on a tropical island and we ate fish almost everyday! Mackerel has always been one of my favorite fish to eat and now it's also my favorite fish to cook. I make this dish at least once a month and my family love it. If you can't find mackerel, snapper is a good substitute.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More