- Cooking Time:
- Servings: makes 1 cup
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
BackstoryThe process of making caramel is truly beautiful. Watching the sugar go from a pale, translucent white to a deep, dark, rich amber is so fantastic! The transformation is incredible and lovely.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the water, sugar and corn syrup. Cook this mixture over medium heat, until the color is a very dark amber. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes. Do not ever stir this mixture!
- Once you've achieved the dark color, reduce the heat to low and carefully whisk in the butter, cream, and crème fraîche. Stand back! When you add these ingredients, the mixture will likely hiss and bubble up. Continue to whisk until it's smooth. Then add the salt, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg. Stir to blend, and remove from the heat.
- This caramel can be made up to at least a week ahead of time. Keep it stored in the refrigerator and warm it to soften.