- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 11/2 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 oz caramel candies, unwrapped
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Arrange the walnuts on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown and aromatic. Coarsely chop the nuts.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving several inches hanging over the short ends of the pan.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the foil with butter or cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave, stirring between 30-second cooking intervals. Stir until smooth.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla, mixing the batter until thick and glossy, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Stir the caramels and cream in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in half the walnuts.
- Immediately spread the caramel mixture over the brownies and using the tip of a knife held vertically, swirl the caramel and chocolate together.
- Bake for ~40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Cool the brownies completely in the pan (for quicker cooling, set the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes).
- Grab the foil edges and lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut them into squares. If individually wrapped in plastic wrap, the brownies will keep for 1 week at room temperature or for 1 month in the freezer.
NotesThese brownies border on turtle-like confection with the addition of salted caramel sauce and walnuts.
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More