- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4 dozen cookies
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Approx 12-14 oz soft caramel candies
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Sea salt
- The Dough: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a hand mixer on medium speed beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add in vanilla. Turn mixer on low and slowly add in flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt and beat to together. Press dough together and then make 4 dozen 1 1/4-inch balls. Put balls on cookie sheets and press and press your thumb to make an indentation (hence the name “Thumbprint Cookie.”) Bake for about 10 minutes, removing cookie sheets from oven and re-press thumb prints. Put cookie sheets back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- The Caramel Filling: Put the caramels and heavy cream in a saucepan on low heat, continuously stirring until the caramels are melted into a smooth, creamy mixture is smooth. Spoon the warm caramel mixture into your “thumb print” in cookies. Sprinkle with sea salt. Note: If the caramel hardens before all cookies are filled just reheat on low.
NotesI am not a baker. So, when my Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies turned out, no one was more surprised than me! Life is about stepping out of your comfort zone and well baking from scratch is quite uncomfortable! This recipe is easy. Very Easy. The cookies are melt-in-your mouth delicious with the perfect combination of sweet from the caramel with the sprinkling of sea salt. Truly a match made in cookie heaven.
Submitted by: "Sandi McKenna"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Simple Homemade Favorites
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More