- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 cups masa harina flour
- 4 cups water, approximately
- 3 cups soft white cheese
- light vegetable oil or light olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, gradually stir water into masa harina until dough forms a ball that can be handled.
- Place the grated cheese into a bowl.
- Divide dough into about 25 pieces. Roll each into a ball. Press a hole in each ball with your thumb. Put about 1 tablespoon of desired filling into each ball and fold the dough over to completely enclose it. Press the ball out with your palms to form a disc. Be careful that the filling doesn't spill out.
- Heat a heavy, wide-bottomed or flat skillet until hot. Brush with oil and cook pupusas on each side 4-5 minutes until a pale golden-brown. The outside should be firm.
- Pupusas can be made plain or filled with any number of ingredients. Following are some of the most popular.
- Pupusas de Queso: With a cheese filling. Use grated quesillo, queso fresco, farmer's cheese, mozzarella or Swiss cheese.
- Pupusas de Chicharrones: With a filling of fried pork rinds. If you can't find chicharrones, grind 1 cup of cooked bacon with a little bit of tomato sauce in a food processor.
- Pupusas de Frijoles Refritos: With a refried bean filling.
- Pupusas Revueltas: Use a mixture of chicharrones, cheese and refried beans.
- Pupusas de Queso y Loroco: With a cheese and tropical vine flower filling. Loroco can be found in jars at many Latin markets.
- Pupusas de Arroz: A variety of pupusa that uses rice flour instead of corn masa.
- Cooked potatoes or finely minced, sautéed jalapeño peppers are also tasty fillings. Try a mixture of different fillings.
NotesThis is one of my favorite foods my grandma used to make. If you like quesadillas you will love this ten times more. This is the basic receipe with just cheese but many other things can also be added into them
Forever FOMO Cures: Photo & Cookbook from your Israeli Family
Best of Eva's Family Recipes
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More