- Cooking Time: 120
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3 lbs. whole Roma (plum) tomatoes, blanched and peeled.
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. celery, chopped
- 1 whole head of fresh garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. red wine
- 3 large leaves of fresh oregano, minced
- 3 large leaves of fresh basil, minced
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, and celery and saute quickly until the onion just starts turning translucent.
- Add in the crushed garlic and continue to saute until the onion is almost clear taking care not to scorch the garlic at all.
- Add in the wine.
- Add in the tomatoes, and crush using a potato masher or the back of a large spoon.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir and add in the herbs and red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have cooked down almost completely (there will still be big, tasty tomato chunks!), approximately 90 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the brown sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Optionally, you may transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender before serving to create a smoother sauce if chunks aren't your thing.
NotesThis is a pretty standard and simple scratch tomato sauce with a rich flavor and just a bit of heat.
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at Home
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Italian Sausage and Mushroom Ravioli
Chicken Tacos with Green Chili Adobo
Fish Cakes (Thai) with Herd & Peanut SaladSee More