SAMBAL GORENG HATI (INDONESIAN SPICY BEEF LIVER)
Sambal Goreng Hati (Indonesian Spicy Beef Liver)
- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 pounds beef liver
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or more red hot chillies, crushed
- 2 teaspoons laos*
- 1 teaspoon sereh (lemon grass)*
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 kemiries (candlenuts)*
- 6 lime leaves*
- 1/8 teaspoon blakanan aka trasi (shrim paste)*
- 2 Tablespoons tamarind juice*
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- *Can be purchased at your local Oriental food market such as 99 Ranch Markets.
Boil liver in water with salt for about 15 minutes. Remove from stock. Slice.
Combine all other ingredients and sauté in oil for about 2 minutes.
Add liver, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
Add coconut milk, cover and simmer for about 15. Serve with hot rice.