- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 pounds beef liver
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or more red hot chillies, crushed
- 2 teaspoons laos*
- 1 teaspoon sereh (lemon grass)*
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 kemiries (candlenuts)*
- 6 lime leaves*
- 1/8 teaspoon blakanan aka trasi (shrim paste)*
- 2 Tablespoons tamarind juice*
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- *Can be purchased at your local Oriental food market such as 99 Ranch Markets.
- Boil liver in water with salt for about 15 minutes. Remove from stock. Slice.
- Combine all other ingredients and sauté in oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add liver, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cover and simmer for about 15. Serve with hot rice.
NotesDon't let the word spicy prevent you from trying to make this recipe. Since my wife can not handle real spicy foods, I always prepare Indonesian food on the mild side and add sambals (hot pepper pastes) at the table. Selamat Makan!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More