- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryDon't let the word spicy prevent you from trying to make this recipe. Since my wife can not handle real spicy foods, I always prepare Indonesian food on the mild side and add sambals (hot pepper pastes) at the table. Selamat Makan!
- 2 pounds beef liver
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or more red hot chillies, crushed
- 2 teaspoons laos*
- 1 teaspoon sereh (lemon grass)*
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 kemiries (candlenuts)*
- 6 lime leaves*
- 1/8 teaspoon blakanan aka trasi (shrim paste)*
- 2 Tablespoons tamarind juice*
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- *Can be purchased at your local Oriental food market such as 99 Ranch Markets.
- Boil liver in water with salt for about 15 minutes. Remove from stock. Slice.
- Combine all other ingredients and sauté in oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add liver, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cover and simmer for about 15. Serve with hot rice.