- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 45
- Preparation Time:
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour plus some for rolling the dough
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c. plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground lamb shoulder (not lean)
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1/4 t. cayenne
- 1 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/2 c. minced fresh parsley
- 2 T. minced cilantro
- 1/4 c. pine nuts - toasted (aprox. 5-10 minutes in 350 oven)
- 1 1/2 T. lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 T. water
- Dough: Whisk together flour and salt in a small bowl. Beat together butter and yogurt in a large bowl at medium-high until well combined. Mix in flour mixture at slow speed, dough will be sticky. Halve dough and shape into two disks. Dust with flour and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least three hours.
- Filling: Cook onion in oil, stir often until softened. Add lamb and stir frequently breaking up lumps until no longer pink - about three minutes. Stir in tomatoes paste, cayenne, salt and pepper and then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in remaining filling ingredients and cool.
- To assemble turnovers:Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough (keep one disk chilled) into 8" round, 1/8 thick on well floured surface and cut into 3" rounds. Center 1 t. filling in each round, brush edges with water and fold in half.
- Pinch to seal and bend into half moon shape.
- If rounds become too soft, chill on lightly floured baking sheet.
- Continue until all dough is used.
- Chill turnovers until all are done.
- Glaze and bake: Wish egg and water together for wash. Brush over turnovers. Make one slit in center of each and bake, 1 sheet at a time, in the middle of the oven until tops are golden brown, 18-22 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Notes: Dough can be made up to two days ahead.
- Turnovers can be baked 3 days ahead, cooled completely and chilled. Reheat in 350 degree oven about 15 minutes.
NotesThese take some time, but people gobble them up. I get requests for them constantly!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More