- Cooking Time: Grill 15 to 17 Mins.
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 20 Mins.
- 1 whole, fresh uncooked Dungeness crab, cleaned and sectioned
- --(See instructions below***)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- --(Reserved juices of crab)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- ½ fresh lemon, cut lengthwise,
- --(Set aside one half; cut other into 4 wedges for serving)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf italian parsley, chopped
- 4 reserved fresh lemon wedges
- Pre-heat BBQ grill to medium-high heat (we prefer to use a charcoal.)
- ***Clean and section the fresh uncooked crab (see below).
- Melt butter with olive oil over medium heat, add the chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the reserved juices of the crab (see below) and old bay seasoning; cooking just until warmed through.
- Place cracked crab in a medium cast iron dutch oven. Pour the garlic/butter/oil mixture over the crab sections, and add salt and pepper, to taste, while gently turning crab sections to coat. Place dutch oven (without lid) with crab onto BBQ grill over direct medium-high heat, close lid on grill, and cook for 15 to 17 minutes (depending on size of crab), shells should be pink and flesh opaque when done. Remove from grill, and squeeze 1⁄2-fresh lemon over crab; it'll steam as you do so.
- Using tongs, place grilled Dungeness crab sections onto a large, deep platter, and drizzle juices in dutch oven over top. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and place 4 reserved lemon wedges along side. Provide crab crackers and pickers, including an abundance of napkins ~ Enjoy!
- Tip: You can alternatively roast the crab in a 425-degree oven, using the same method for the same amount of cooking time.
- ***HOW TO SECTION A LIVE DUNGENESS CRAB
- (For sauteing, roasting, or grilling):
- Place the live crab in the freezer for 15 minutes to put it to rest. Put on rubber gloves, and place a large clean pan in sink with the crab in it. Lift the flap on the underbelly while placing your right thumb into the hole and lifting the flap up up - while pressing down on the back shell with your other hand and the top will pop right open. Be careful not to spill the juices, and reserve the shell liquid and crab butter by setting it aside for above recipe. Clean off the gills and whatever parts you are not going to eat, while leaving body and leg sections intact. Hold the crab in both hands so cleaned outside is facing you. Grab both sides of crab sections, so you can bend it into its own belly to 'crack' it in half. Each has four legs sticking out, so stop here if you choose. Or else you could spread and split each leg and body area if you want to separate it further into eight sections.
NotesThe absolute perfect method in which to enjoy grilling the tastiest Dungeness Crab ever...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More