- Cooking Time: Sear: 2 to 4 Mins.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 Mins.
- - 1 lb. fresh bay scallops (or quarter larger sea scallops)
- - kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- - 1 tablespoon peanut oil (as this has high smoking point)
- ***Dipping Sauce
- - 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- - 1 garlic cloves, grated
- - 1 green onion, minced
- - 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- - 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- - 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- - 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, add all the sauce ingredients; whisking them together. Pour into a decorative dipping sauce serving bowl, and place in the center of your serving platter, and set aside.
- Pat down the top and bottom of each scallop with a paper towel (they will not sear properly if moist). Season scallops with kosher salt and ground pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet, (I prefer to use a seasoned cast iron skillet) heat to medium-high heat, add peanut oil by placing it on a paper towel folded in quarters, and wiping down skillet. Add scallops, not touching, and sear for approximately 1 to 2 minutes per side, just until golden brown (please do not poke or move around scallops or they will not sear properly). Also, cooking might slightly vary depending on size of scallops.
- Place seared scallops on platter around dipping sauce bowl, and serve immediately - enjoy!
- Tip: I serve mine with a small container of toothpicks for dipping scallops into sauce.
NotesMy absolute favorite method in which to guarantee the most succulently flavored scallops every time...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More