Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 ¼ cup warm water
1 x 7g sachet dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups strong white bread flour, approximately
1) In large bowl, add the warm water. Slowly stir in dry yeast. Continue to stir until yeast is dissolved. Add salt, sugar, and oil to bowl. Stir. Mix in the first 2 cups of flour.
2) If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms a ball.
3) Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding small spoonfuls of flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
4) Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour.
5) Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead.
6) Lightly grease a small/medium Pullman loaf tin. Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, shape it into a log, and fit it into the pan. Cover the pan with lightly greased cling film, and allow the dough to rise until it’s just below the lip of the pan, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the warmth of your kitchen
7) Remove the cling film, and carefully place the cover on the pan, let it rest an additional 10 minutes while oven preheats to 180°C/350°F. Bake the bread for 35 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, carefully remove the lid, and return the bread to the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until it appears done with a nice colour on top. Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
(If you have a bread machine you should also be able to do steps 1-4 on the dough setting of your machine)
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Bread