- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Serves 4
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt
- 1 baking potato (8 to 10 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
- All-purpose flour for work surface
- 1 pie dough (for a 9-inch pie), homemade or storebought
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potato until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Return potato to pan and mash with a potato masher or spoon. Cook over low heat until the bottom of the pan starts to show a starchy film. Add 2 tablespoons remaining oil, spinach, and cheddar and cook until cheese has melted. Season with salt. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 400. On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough out to a 15 x 8 -inch rectangle. Cut dough into 4 rectangles. Brush with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Divide potato mixture among the rectangles, placing it down one half of each long side, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Fold uncovered side over other potato mixture; press to seal. Using a fork, crimp the edges. With a paring knife, make 3 slits down the top of each (for steam vents). Place on the baking sheet; brush tops with egg wash. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NotesFollowing on the heels of a St Patrick’s Day, a sandwich of potatoes and something green made lots of sense to me. Dough languishing in the freezer seemed just the ticket to create a savory potato and spinach hand pie. A small chunk of cheddar begging to be used was part of the equation too!
Cooking with Sabra
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More