- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Serves 4
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt
- 1 baking potato (8 to 10 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
- All-purpose flour for work surface
- 1 pie dough (for a 9-inch pie), homemade or storebought
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potato until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Return potato to pan and mash with a potato masher or spoon. Cook over low heat until the bottom of the pan starts to show a starchy film. Add 2 tablespoons remaining oil, spinach, and cheddar and cook until cheese has melted. Season with salt. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 400. On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough out to a 15 x 8 -inch rectangle. Cut dough into 4 rectangles. Brush with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Divide potato mixture among the rectangles, placing it down one half of each long side, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Fold uncovered side over other potato mixture; press to seal. Using a fork, crimp the edges. With a paring knife, make 3 slits down the top of each (for steam vents). Place on the baking sheet; brush tops with egg wash. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NotesFollowing on the heels of a St Patrick’s Day, a sandwich of potatoes and something green made lots of sense to me. Dough languishing in the freezer seemed just the ticket to create a savory potato and spinach hand pie. A small chunk of cheddar begging to be used was part of the equation too!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
DIY Tasty Gift IdeasSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More