- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C. butter, softened
- 1 C. confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 C. sifted flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. cream of tartar
- 2 T. of red food coloring (for Candy Cane Sugar cookies only)
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and almond extract. Set aside. Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar together. Stir into the butter mixture. Divide the dough in half and add the red food coloring to half the dough. Refrigerate dough for one hour.
- Take one teaspoon of each color of dough and roll out into 4 inch long strips. Lay the strips side by side and twist together to make a red and white striped rope. Place the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Turn the end into a curve to make the canes handle. Repeat this procedure to make 12 canes.
- Place one inch apart on baking sheet. Bake at 375° F. for 10 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- White Chocolate and Candy Cane Cookies
- Candy Cane Topping
- 1/2 C. crushed red and white peppermint candy
- 2 T. red colored sugar
- Crush the peppermint candy in a heavy plastic bag with a hammer or rolling pin. Mix in the red colored sugar.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
The Italian Exchange
Vegetarian RecipesSee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More