- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 16-18
- Preparation Time: 60
- Yellow Corn Tortillas 16-18
- Ground Meat, Turkey or Veggie Substitute 2lbs.
- Large yellow onion chopped medium
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 Cup of chopped Cilantro or Parsley
- 1 Tbls. Spicy paprika plus powdered Chipotle (or to taste)
- Salt & Pepper
- For the cooking oil we use combo of corn oil-butter or lard. Use what you like.
- Enchilada Sauce (use our recipe link here) or we also like Las Palmas (can)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- Longhorn Cheddar Cheese cut to 2” sticks
- Monterey Jack Cheese cut to 2” sticks
- Cheese grated large
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 large can of sliced black olives (drained)
- 2 avocados diced
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce shredded
- 3 fresh tomatoes sliced thin
- This is a great dish to make with family or friends helping and sipping some zesty Margaritas...
- Start by adding some cooking oil in a large skillet on medium heat and add the chopped yellow onion...as it turns translucent add the ground meat, turkey or substitute...add the garlic and the spices and cook until nicely browned. Remove to drain on kitchen paper. When ready to use, add the chopped cilantro or parsley and place in bowl on the assembly line.
- Now prepare the other bowls filled with the following ingredients...Cheddar & Monterey cheese sticks, chopped scallions, black olives sliced, avocados diced, iceberg lettuce shredded and fresh tomatoes sliced.
- Now the process begins. You will need two skillets, one you will already have with the remains of cooking the meat. In this pan add the 4 cups of sauce or 2 cans of Las Palmas and the large can of diced tomatoes. Heat this to simmer. In another skillet add cooking oil to fill bottom by 1/4” and heat to slightly smoking.
- Now take the tortillas, one at a time and dip them into the sauce tenderly with tongs and then BE CAREFUL and step back and put the tortilla in the hot oil for only ten seconds and then delicately place in a non-reactive baking dish. (this can be tricky and takes a little time to get it right)
- Now it is ready to fill with each ingredient in the assembly line. Do not pack too tightly and roll so that the seam is toward the bottom.
- When the enchiladas are all filled take the remains of the sauce and add additional diced tomatoes if needed. Taste for spices S &P and the pour over the enchiladas finishing off with a generous sprinkling of cheese.
- Now these can sit in the refrigerator until 1 hr. before serving or just pop them in a 350 oven covered with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes to create a slightly brown & bubbly finish.
- To Serve we have all the classic accompaniments ... Rich chili beans, Spanish Rice, Sour Cream, Chopped Cilantro.
NotesFiesta in Santa Barbara is like an annual cleansing of the soul, a sort of purification that re-makes the participant and the remarkable city in a mystical way? It’s really a celebration of the early California ideal of romantic, unfettered spirit and breathtaking landscapes with stunning architecture. Beside the spectacular dancing and outdoor markets a favorite happening was the Fiesta Block Party a with fabulous spread of classic Fiesta dishes. The star of the banquet table in our neighborhood were our very special enchiladas that always vanished soon after they were served? We are still famous for these mouthwatering favorites. See our secret recipe below. For Complete story and Fiesta pictures visit our website at:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Coca-Cola Biscuits from Southern Biscuits Cookbook
Summer Stone Sangria
Beef & Broccoli over Hong Kong Pan Fried NoodlesSee More