- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis had been sitting in my recipe binder for over a year before finally trying it this week. I am not a real big fan of meatloaf, especially turkey meatloaf, but I thought the spices in this would offset the dryness factor that baked turkey has. I assembled it one night and baked it the next. Next time I make it I will add more salsa to the meat. I served it with more salsa (not mild) on top and a little dollop of lite sour cream. Made Kasha with mushrooms and green onions as a side.
(serving size: 2 slices)
CALORIES 288(33% from fat); FAT 10.5g (sat 4g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 31.5g; CHOLESTEROL 88mg; CALCIUM 256mg; SODIUM 876mg; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 14.8g
David Bonom , Cooking Light, MARCH 2006
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/2 pound 7% fat ground turkey
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup mild chunky salsa, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 slices 30%-less-fat center-cut bacon (such as Oscar Mayer), cooked and crumbled
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced-fat finely shredded Mexican-style four cheese blend (such as Kraft 2% milk)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic to pan; sauté 1 1/2 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in chipotle chile; sauté 30 seconds.
- Remove from pan; cool.
- Combine onion mixture, turkey, turkey breast, breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup salsa, oregano, bacon, and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Place half of turkey mixture in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange cheese over top, leaving a 1/2-inch border around outside edges.
- Arrange remaining turkey mixture over cheese, pressing edges to pack.
- Spread the remaining 1/3 cup salsa over top of meat loaf.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cut into 12 slices.