- Cooking Time:
- Servings: varies
- Preparation Time: 30
- Salt Fish (cod is preferred)
- green peppers
- lime juice (fresh is best)
- pepper sauce (optional)
- hot pepper(optional)
- Salt fish is cod which has been salt curred. You will need to put this in a pot, cover with water and boil some of the salt out (do this about twice). drain and then flake this up. make sure you get all the bones out (it's best to by boned and skinned salt fish).
- I use a food processor or you can hand chop. Rough grind or chop each of the onions, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. if using a food process you can add them all together and grind them. Just don't pulverize them. Put them all in a large bowl.
- Add the flaked up fish to the bowl and combine. taste.
- Squeeze some lime juice over all (again, depending on the amount, will depend on how much juice.. taste as you go).
- add salt if its not salty enough.
- Add minced up hot pepper or a few dashes of good pepper sauce, if you prefer this with a little heat.
- Serve wtih hard crackers or good quality chips (Scoops)
NotesThis is my version of an old Trinidadian "salad". It is made with Salted Codfish (or Salt fish). if you can't find this (and sometimes you can get it in a can), use a flaky but firm white fish and you will need to add more salt for tast. I learned to make this from going to friends parties when I first moved to Barbados. I got the basics of the ingrediants and have been making my own ever since. This is eaten cold or at room tempurature and usually on a firm cracker, although good chips, like tortilla chips, or Frito's are good as well. The quantities will depend on how much you want to make. for a small portion, use about 10oz of fish and 1 each of the onion, pepper, tomato, and cucumber. You may need to try this a few times and very the amounts to get your right taste.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More