SATAY AYAM MADURA - MADURA CHICKEN SATAY
- 4 Chicken breasts, skinned and deboned
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 kemiries* (candlenuts), grated
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek* (Indonesian hot pepper paste)
- 1 teaspoon sereh powder* (lemon grass)
- 1/2 inch trasi* (shrimp paste) softened in 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Gula Java or Melaka* (Indosian palm sugar)
Cube chicken into portions and set aside.
Heat oil in frying pan and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well.
Marinated chicken cubes in this mixture for about 2 hours to allow the aromatic and pungent spices to be absorbed.
Skewer the meat and cook until well done over grill.
Serve over rice and fresh peanut sauce.
These ingredients can be purchased at an Oriental food market, such as 99 Ranch Market.