- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI have wanted this recipe for years, since I read the book; Sati. From the 2nd passage in the book it makes me feel this recipe is wrong, but we can still call 'em Sati's.
Please enjoy & look up the book for those who wish to read it.
"The cookies were excellent. Tiny shortbread cakes, they had raspberry jam in the center and icing and sliced cherry pieces on top." narration, Sati, Christopher Pike
"The secret ingredient in Sati's recipe was a combination of flavors, herbs, and spices that were mixed directly into the shortbread dough"-narration, Sati, Christopher Pike
This recipe is adapted from two recipes I found online: one for icing, and one for raspberry shortbread cookies. These are both wonderful recipes and I do not wish to detract from them; I admit to not being very good at baking, so I thank the creators of the recipes I use.
Sati counsels joy; these cookies are meant to celebrate joy. Eat them happily, share them, spread the word. Give this recipe away, I don't even care if I'm credited. I hereby place this recipe in the public domain.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- cherries, sliced or whole
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 6+ drops blue food coloring (optional; use a different color if preferred)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Add flour and mix well. Pinch off a piece of dough and roll into a ball. Place on cookie sheet that has been lined with foil.
- Using your thumb, make an indentation in the dough; fill with raspberry jam. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Let stand one minute before removing to cooling racks.
- In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Add the corn syrup and vanilla extract; mix well. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup or milk. Ice cookies in whatever manner you see fit.
- Add cherries.