- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3-pound rump or top round roast
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive or Canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Begin marinating the roast three days before serving. Combine the vinegar, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, salt and chopped onion in a deep non-metallic container (a one-gallon heavy-duty ziplock bag is even better). Set the roast into the marinade and refrigerate. Each morning and evening, turn the roast so that it is evenly marinated (if you're using a plastic bag, just turn the bag over).
- To prepare the Sauerbraten, remove the roast from the marinade and dry it well. Discard all but 1/2 cup of the marinade.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the roast and brown well on all sides. Position roast with fat side up. Lower heat, add the 1/2 cup of reserved marinade, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the warm water, cover, and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until roast is tender. Carve the roast and put on a heated platter.
- For the gravy, combine the 1/2 cup of cold water with the 1/3 cup flour and mix until smooth. Add several tablespoons of the pan liquid to the flour mixture, a spoonful at a time, and mix well. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the pan juices while stirring. Continue stirring over medium heat until gravy thickens. (If you have a few flour lumps, don't despair; just strain the gravy into the container in which you will be serving it.) Pour some of the hot gravy over the sliced roast before bringing it to the table.
- Note: You may wish, as some cooks do, to enliven your gravy by adding to it a tablespoon of butter, some cream or a little red wine. However, the gravy will be terrific without it.
- The three days of marinating is essential, as far as I'm concerned. It deepens the flavor and contributes greatly to the tenderness of the roast.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Tuscan Sausage and Potato SoupSee More