- Cooking Time: 480-540
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 lbs. top round beef steak
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 16-oz. pkg. baby carrots
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 15 cookies)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- In 4 to 5-quart slow cooker, combine beef, onions, broth, vinegar, bay leaves, carrots, and potatoes. Mix well, then cover crock-pot and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Then remove cover and turn heat to high.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add gingersnaps and brown sugar to the mixture. Stir well and taste for seasoning (you may want to add more gingersnaps or brown sugar for the perfect sweet/sour balance).
- Then stir together sour cream and flour and add that to the crock-pot, stirring well to combine. Cover and cook for 30 minutes until thickened and heated. Serve with hot cooked egg noodles or spatzele.
NotesTraditional sauerbraten has the most wonderful sweet and sour flavor; and the meat is very tender from long, slow cooking. This easy and simple version cooks in your crockpot and takes about 20 minutes to put together.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More