- Cooking Time: 1-4 weeks
- Servings: varies
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 1 Large head of white/green cabbage, sliced or chopped thinly (save a few whole leaves for lids)
- For every 5 lbs ~2 kIlos of cabbage use 2-3 Tbsp. or 28-42 grams sea salt (pickling salt is finer, so make sure to weigh if using)
- Sprinkle salt on your cabbage and allow it to sweat for 15 -20 minutes in a large bowl to retain the moisture. Aggressively squeeze the cabbage or crush (by other means) the cell walls. The cabbage will change color slightly. In a fermenting jar squish the cabbage down until covered in its’ own liquid and cover using one of the cabbage leaves as a lid. Leave undisturbed in a cool dark place for 1-4 weeks.
- I love adding either: lavender flowers, caraway seeds, pickling spice or chili powder to taste.
- One of the best ways to use sauerkraut is on a grilled cheese sandwich if pickles are not available. I also advocate adding to simple foods.
NotesFermented cabbage! What a glorious delicious pro-biotically tasty condiment!