SAUS KACANG BARU - INDONESIAN FRESH PEANUT SAUCE
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups peanuts, roasted and shelled
- 2 pieces Sereh* (lemon grass)
- 2 pieces Kencur* (ginger like root)
- 2 tablespoons trasi* (shrimp paste)
- 2 red chillies, crushed
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis sedang* -Indonesian medium sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Asam water* (tamarind)
In a medium size frying pan heat the peanut oil.
Fry the onions and garlic until golden.
Place onion mixture, peanuts, lemon grass, kencur, and trasi in a food processor; then add chillies, brown sugar, kecap, salt and asam water. Mix together thoroughly.
Now add enough boiling water to make a thick paste.
Serve over Satays.
These ingredients can be purchased at an Oriental food market such as 99 Ranch market.