SAUSAGE, WHITE BEAN & SPINACH SOUP
- 2 links sweet or spicy turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- freshly-grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Cook sausage in the oil until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup water, beans, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Taste for seasoning and add salt, to taste, if necessary.
Remove from heat, and stir in spinach and basil. Serve with cheese, if desired.