- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4-5 medium potatoes, any variety, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb asparagus, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- cheese, for topping, if desired
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine sausage, onions, and mushrooms. Using a spatula, break sausage into smaller pieces (but do not crumble completely). Saute until sausage begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and water to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Add asparagus to top of mixture but do not stir in. Cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until asparagus is crisp-tender and potatoes are tender. Stir and top with fresh ground pepper.
- Serve immediately, topped with cheese if desir
NotesThis is a relatively quick and easy one-dish dinner, perfect on those chilly spring nights (or, if you live in Michigan, snowy spring nights). This recipe is inspired by one in Simply in Season, but I added my own personal touch to give it a little more substance and flavor. If asparagus isn’t your vegetable, try broccoli, peppers, or sugar snap peas.