- Cooking Time: COOK TIME 10 Min
- Servings: 5 Servings
- Preparation Time: PREP TIME 45 Min
- INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
- 1 pound sage flavored ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (105 to 115 degrees F/43 to 46 degrees C)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- To make the gravy: Crumble sausage in skillet and cook over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until tender; drain. Stir in flour, a little at a time, for about 6 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Stir in milk, nutmeg, poultry seasoning, salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and cook until thick.
- To make biscuits: Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in buttermilk and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until looks like coarse meal. Stir in yeast-buttermilk mix and mix well. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 3 to 4 times. Roll out flat to 1/2 inch and cut with 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and cover. Let rise in warm place 1 1/2 hrs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter
NotesThis is a wonderful sausage gravy and biscuit recipe my cousin serves for breakfast on special occasions."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More