SAUSAGE GRAVY WITH BISCUITS
- Cooking Time: COOK TIME 10 Min
- Servings: 5 Servings
- Preparation Time: PREP TIME 45 Min
- INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
- 1 pound sage flavored ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (105 to 115 degrees F/43 to 46 degrees C)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- To make the gravy: Crumble sausage in skillet and cook over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until tender; drain. Stir in flour, a little at a time, for about 6 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Stir in milk, nutmeg, poultry seasoning, salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and cook until thick.
- To make biscuits: Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in buttermilk and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until looks like coarse meal. Stir in yeast-buttermilk mix and mix well. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 3 to 4 times. Roll out flat to 1/2 inch and cut with 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and cover. Let rise in warm place 1 1/2 hrs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter
NotesThis is a wonderful sausage gravy and biscuit recipe my cousin serves for breakfast on special occasions."