- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 small or medium russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb. kielbasa or other smoked sausage, sliced in half-rounds
- 2 Tbsp. red wine
- Grated grana padano/parmesan for serving
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, cumin, salt, pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and saute for about 8 more minutes. Stir around the tomato paste to cook it off for a couple minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and the lentils. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Remove the lid and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are just tender.
- Add the cubed potato and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the sausage and red wine. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or so until potatoes are cooked and sausage is heated through. Pluck out the woody thyme sprigs.
- Ladel into bowls and top with grana padano or parmesan cheese.
NotesAlso on my blog: ellysaysopa.vox.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More