- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 small or medium russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb. kielbasa or other smoked sausage, sliced in half-rounds
- 2 Tbsp. red wine
- Grated grana padano/parmesan for serving
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, cumin, salt, pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and saute for about 8 more minutes. Stir around the tomato paste to cook it off for a couple minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and the lentils. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Remove the lid and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the lentils are just tender.
- Add the cubed potato and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the sausage and red wine. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or so until potatoes are cooked and sausage is heated through. Pluck out the woody thyme sprigs.
- Ladel into bowls and top with grana padano or parmesan cheese.
NotesAlso on my blog: ellysaysopa.vox.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More