- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Dice the first four ingredients and saute them in a large pot with the oil. Saute until tender.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and add the Italian sausage, removed from the casing, to the pan. Brown then drain off fat.
- Pour 8 cups for chicken broth, the vegetables back into the pot.
- Add tomatoes and lentils.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, 30-45 minutes.
- Remove 1/3 of the soup and puree. then return it to the pot.
- Correct the seasonings and remove bay leaf.
- I served with grated Parmesan cheese.
NotesThis is a copycat version of Carrabba's sausage and lentil soup that I found on http://www.recipezaar.com/. It is wonderful. I used turkey sausage to lighten it up. It is mildly spicy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More