- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Dice the first four ingredients and saute them in a large pot with the oil. Saute until tender.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and add the Italian sausage, removed from the casing, to the pan. Brown then drain off fat.
- Pour 8 cups for chicken broth, the vegetables back into the pot.
- Add tomatoes and lentils.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, 30-45 minutes.
- Remove 1/3 of the soup and puree. then return it to the pot.
- Correct the seasonings and remove bay leaf.
- I served with grated Parmesan cheese.
NotesThis is a copycat version of Carrabba's sausage and lentil soup that I found on http://www.recipezaar.com/. It is wonderful. I used turkey sausage to lighten it up. It is mildly spicy.
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3See More
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage Casserole
Vanilla Crunch Clouds
Fruity With a Touch of ZingSee More