- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 pound green beans, ends snapped off
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot.
- Adjust an over rack to the lower-middle position, set a large heatproof plate on it, and heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- One at a time, coat both sides of each chicken piece with flour.
- Lift each breast by the tapered end and shake to remove excess flour; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed 12' skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Place the floured chicken in a single layer in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Using tongs, flip the chicken; cook until the second side is golden brown and the meant feels firm when pressed with a finger, about 3 minutes.
- The meat should no longer be pink in the center. Transfer the chicken to the heater plate and return the plate to the oven.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and the beans to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans and transfer them into a large serving bowl.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, return the skillet to low heat; add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and vermouth, scraping the browned bits from the pan bottom, until the sauce is slightly syrupy, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the lemon juice, thyme, and any accumulated juices from the chicken.
- Whisk in the remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange a portion of green beans on individual plates and place a chicken breast on top.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and beans and serve immediately.
- vnbbbbbbbbServes 4
- Time: 35 Minutes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Lau Family RecipesSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More