Sauteed Duck Foie Gras
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1. 1/2 pound piece raw Grade A duck foie gras at room temperature, cleaned and deveined
2. Salt and pepper to taste
3. 2 teaspoons canola oil
4. 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. After deveining, cut the foie gras crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces, then season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of the canola oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
3. Saute half the foie gras until golden, 45 to 60 seconds on each side (it will be pink inside). Quickly transfer to a paper towel to drain and discard fat in skillet.
4. Saute the rest of the foie gras the same way, then discard all all but 1 tablespoon of remaining fat in skillet. Add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Serve foie gras with sauce.
Sauteing duck foie gras is not hard to do, but be careful; otherwise, you'll end up with a puddle of very expensive melted fat.