- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion -- chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice -- uncooked
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 ribs celery -- chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms -- sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper -- chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper -- chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Pour the stock, bay leaf, and tomatoes in a medium size saucepan. Add the vinegar and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a simmer on low heat to infuse the flavors. Remove from heat.
- 2. Set a well-seasoned 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon to the cold pan and sauté, stirring, until crisp, 5 minutes. Add the onions and thyme and sauté until golden, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir in the celery and cook until barely tender; increase the heat, add the mushrooms and cook until they have released their juices and the juices have evaporated, 2 minutes. (While the mushrooms are cooking, set the small saucepan back on the heat and bring the stock back just to a simmer. Stir in the garlic at the end and sauté until its aroma blooms, about 10 seconds.
- 3. Stir the rice into the vegetables and sauté until the grains are opaque, half a minute or so. Pour the hot stock into the skillet with the rice. Stir the rice and lower the heat. Cover tightly and set the flame very low. Cook 20 minutes without lifting the lid. Remove from the heat and rest 10 minutes without lifting the lid.
NotesI grew up in Savannah, Ga. and this has been one of my favorites for many years.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More