Savory Chickpea Flour Pancakes With Tamarind Syrup [Vegan]
Dairy FreeGluten FreeVegan
3/4 cup of chickpea flour
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin, ground
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp turmeric, ground
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped, minced, or grated
1/4 cup sliced crimini/or white mushrooms (or spinach or chopped greens)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
1-2 Tbsp medium-high heat oil (avocado, canola, grape seed, refined coconut)
1/2 cup tamarind paste
1 cup brown sugar (or 3/4 cup agave, or 4-5 dates)
1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped
1 Tbsp med-high heat oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds, whole
1/8 tsp asafoetida, also known as hing powder (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black salt (optional)
3/4 cup water (more as needed)
1. If making tamarind syrup from scratch, cook the ginger, chili, and cumin seeds in 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pot until sizzlling. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer. Let simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes until reduced down to a rich brown sauce. When done, strain through sieve into a bowl or jar and let cool. If not making sauce from scratch, proceed to next step.
2. Prepare you pancake batter by combining chickpea flour, water, salt and all spices in a medium bowl and whisking well until no lumps remain. Let rest while you prepare vegetables.
3. Add chopped onions, ginger, cilantro, and mushrooms to batter and stir well to combine.
4. Heat oil in a skillet (non-stick or well-seasoned cast iron is good here), and when oil is hot, add one ladle of chickpea vegetable batter. Swirl pan around to spread batter out slightly. Let cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes on first side until edges begin to dry and curl up a bit. Very carefully, use spatula to lift up and flip over (they can sometimes stick a bit, so just gently lift it up). Cook on other side for 3-4 minutes until cooked through, crispy, and well browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Serve drizzled with tamarind sauce/syrup/chutney/Sriracha/condiment of choice, and sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Pairs Well With
Found this online and would like to try it!