- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-2 slices bread
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 Tsp baking powder
- 1/8 Tsp. baking soda
- 4 cups fresh corn
- 1 Tbsp Chopped basil
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1- 1 ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- In a food processor pulse the bread to make a soft crumb. Reserve ½ for later
- Add 1 cup of corn and garlic, process until you create a puree
- Add the egg and pulse a bit to combine but not beat.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients, when mixed together add corn and herbs.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- If the consistency is too fluid, add the reserved bread crumbs.
- The texture is similar to cooked oatmeal,
- Scoop approx ½ cup of mixture and roll in the bread crumbs and form into cakes.
- Fry in a small amount of Canola Oil at a medium low heat for around 5 min per side or until brown and the centre is set. Add more oil when cakes are turned over to cook the other side.
- The recipe will yield 6 cakes.
- Any herb can be substituted or perhaps a curry powder if you choose.
- Serve alone or with a garlic mayo or simply a squeeze of lemon.
- Panko Bread crumbs are available in a lot of Asian markets.
NotesHere in Ontario Canada we have wonderfully sweetest Peaches and Cream corn. I was trying to think of a less traditional way to eat corn. I searched for a recipe for a corn cake, similar to a crab cake but obviously with corn but was unsuccessful. I made up the following recipe and it is surprisingly good
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More